A loss of muscular control or coordination of voluntary motions, such as walking or picking up things, is referred to as ataxia. Ataxia, a symptom of an underlying illness, can impair numerous motions and cause issues with speaking, eye movement, and swallowing.
What causes ataxia?
When the cerebellum is damaged, ataxia occurs (the part of the brain that coordinates movement). Ataxia can be caused by a variety of factors, including an acute injury or illness, as well as a chronic degenerative process. Based on what they know about the etiology, doctors and researchers divide ataxia into three major types. These are the categories:
Acquired ataxia: It is caused by extrinsic causes such as trauma, nutritional shortages, drug or alcohol abuse, infections, or cancer.
Genetic ataxia: This happens when a person has a faulty gene that is handed down through family members.
Idiopathic ataxia: Doctors are unable to pinpoint the etiology of the disease.
What are the symptoms of ataxia?
The symptoms of ataxia vary according on the type of disease a person has. People with ataxia seem “clumsy” in most circumstances. Among the symptoms are:
- Coordination is deteriorating
- Having difficulty walking
- Deficiency in balance, resulting in frequent falls
- Heart issues
- Fine motor skill loss
- Tremors in the muscles
- Speech slurred
- Issues with vision
What are the different types of ataxia?
There are several forms of ataxia. The categorization is determined by the symptoms and the cause of their emergence. Knowing the kind can assist doctors in assessing the problem and developing a treatment strategy.
- Ataxia telangiectasia (AT)
- Episodic ataxia
- Friedreich’s ataxia
- Multiple system atrophy (MSA)
- Spinocerebellar ataxia
How do doctors diagnose ataxia?
When diagnosing ataxia, doctors take into account a variety of characteristics. To identify if you have ataxia and what type you have, your doctor will do a physical exam and ask about your medical and family history.
Other tests may be used by doctors to determine the etiology and characterize ataxia. These are some examples:
MRI: An imaging test called an MRI enables doctor’s view your brain to help establish the origin of the ataxia.
Blood tests: Assist in the identification of any underlying causes of the disease, such as a stroke, tumor, or infection.
Genetic testing: Can be used to confirm a diagnosis of inherited ataxia.
Best Ayurvedic Treatment for Ataxia
In Ayurveda, the protein frataxin is associated with pranavata, which governs the function of udana, and vyanavata is hampered and produced gati as a result. There is less ATP generation (urga karma) due to diminished pranayatna (action potential). This causes a reduction in cellular metabolism (known as bala in Ayurveda), which causes amadravya to be created at the cellular level. This ama causes blockage, and the iron alternation interacts with oxygen to form free radicals (known as amavisha), which disrupt cellular functions. So we may conclude that ataxia is produced by a vata imbalance, namely the prana, udana, and vyana forms of vata. This condition of dosha imbalance can be remedied with a herbal combination.
Herbal Remedies for Ataxia
Ayurvedic therapy of ataxia with herbal medicines such as Ashwagandha Capsules, Brahmi Capsules, Shilajit Capsules, Gotukola Capsules,and Medhya Capsules. All of them have no negative effects and are completely safe to use. They are also created by MD Ayurvedic physicians. All of the medications in the home are manufactured without the use of any chemicals, additions, or preservatives.
- Ashwagandha is an extremely effective herb in the treatment of neurological diseases.
- It has anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, mind-boosting, anti-stress, revitalising, anti-aging, immune booster, adoptogenic, and many more qualities.
- This is known to boost cognitive functions such as attention and coordination.
- It offers reserve and sustains energy to support healthy bodily functioning.
- This helps to strengthen the iron level of the body and improves the blood and oxygen content.
- All of these characteristics of ashwagandha aid in the treatment of ataxia.
- Gotu Kola is really beneficial in maintaining neuromuscular issues.
- It strengthens the crown chakra, the energy point at the top of the head believed to balance the right and left hemispheres of the brain.
- This plant is recognised to have revitalising, blood tonic, anti-toxic, anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial, and other characteristics.
- This plant detoxifies the body and reduces stress on veins and capillaries, heals leg cramps, abnormal tingling and extremities, improves memory, mental capacity, coordination, and other functions.
- All of these things aid in the management of ataxia.
- Shilajit is a mineral deposit rich in rejuvenating, anti-oxidant, immune boosting, regenerative, adaptogenic, anti-inflammatory, and other qualities.
- This aids in the treatment of conditions such as tissue degradation, weakened immunity, iron deficiency, bone weakness, and energy deficiency, among others.
- As a result, it aids in the treatment of ataxia.
- Brahmi is beneficial in the treatment of brain and spinal cord problems.
- A phytochemical bacosides that is known to contain therapeutic properties that have an influence on the degenerative cells of the brain, relieves stress, improves heart function, rejuvenates the nervous system, strengthens the body, energises the body, and helps to redirect the flow of vata problems, which is why it is very effective in the treatment of ataxia.
- It is quite helpful in the treatment of ataxia.
- It cures issues such as low immunity, rejuvenates brain cells, improves memory, concentration issues, and coordination issues in bodily motions, mental issues, and weariness, nerve cell weakness, stammering issues, and speaking abilities, among others.
How Ayurveda can help in a genetic condition like Ataxia?
This is a really legitimate point of contention. The solution can be found in the initial concept of Ayurveda. According to Ayurveda, we are all susceptible to all ailments. And this is what we all know as – Prakriti in Ayurveda.
Prakriti is concerned with the genes and the interior environment of the organism.
Epigenetics is a new field of medicine that is being discussed in modern medicine. This new knowledge of the body’s genetic constitution confirms that gene expression alone cannot create the disease unless it is triggered by food and lifestyle.
As a result, Ataxia patients should always continue with food and lifestyle limitations for the remainder of their lives.