Individuals who exhibit symptoms such as white stools, enlarged liver, and jaundice should consult a hepatologist in Lahore. These symptoms correlate with liver cancer and should be treated timely to avoid complications. The specialist will conduct several tests to diagnose the illness and its cause. Additionally, the specialist will provide the most effective treatment plan to prevent further complications.
The formation of the tumors in the liver hinders the functioning of the organ, and the person suffers from jaundice, vomiting, and unbearable stomach ache. Men above fifty are more likely to develop liver cancer and suffer from correlated complications. However, treatment and vaccines can help manage the symptoms.
Symptoms of Liver Cancer
The symptoms of liver cancer are:
- The patient might not experience any symptoms at the early stage of the disease.
- The patient will notice irrational and progressive weight loss without physical exertion.
- The patient will remain lethargic for most of the time.
- The patient will experience unbearable and persistent stomach pain.
- The patient will have an enlarged liver.
- The patient will exhibit symptoms of jaundice. The skin will appear yellow all the time.
- The person will experience abdominal distension due to the excessive accumulation of the fluid.
- The patient will notice white stools that indicate liver disease.
Causes of Liver Cancer
The known causes of liver cancer include:
- The mutation in the DNA is the cause of the liver cause.
- The recurrent infections in the body and patients diagnosed with hepatitis C are more likely to suffer from liver cancer.
- People who consume an excessive amount of alcohol have a weakened liver. It can lead to liver cancer and other kidney-related diseases.
Complications Associated with Liver Cancer
The complications associated with liver cancer are:
- The patient suffers from ascites, the accumulation of fluid in the abdomen.
- The patient suffers from jaundice and high cholesterol that can affect the functioning of vital organs.
- The patient suffers from constant stomach pain. It may lead to a lack of physical activities and anxiety.
- The patient has higher levels of calcium in the body, which may lead to the formation of kidney disease.
- Men may have enlarged breasts due to cancer.
The preventive measures include:
- People should limit the intake of alcohol to avoid malfunctioning vital organs.
- People should maintain the required body weight and get vaccinated against hepatitis B.
- People should avoid sharing needles, as it may cause hepatitis C, eventually leading to liver cancer.
Tests to Diagnose Liver Cancer
The tests that help diagnose liver cancer are:
- Liver functioning tests help detect the presence of excessive levels of Alfa-fetoprotein and des-gamma-carboxy prothrombin.
- The imaging testing helps detect any abnormality in the structure of the liver that indicates cancer.
- The liver biopsy helps detect the presence of cancerous cells and the severity of the condition.
Effective Treatment Options
The treatment options that have been proven effective in treating liver cancer include:
- Chemotherapy helps fight and destroy cancerous cells. It also helps to stop the spread of cancerous cells.
- Cryoablation is a procedure in which the cold temperature kills the cancerous cells.
- Radio ablation is a procedure that uses heat to destroy the cancerous cells in the liver.
- Hepatectomy is a surgical procedure in which the affected part is removed to stop the spread.
- In severe cases, liver transplantation is the only option. The affected liver is replaced with a healthy organ provided by a donor.
- Radiation Therapy uses high-powered energy to destroy cancerous cells.
Patients diagnosed with liver cancer must visit a hepatologist in Karachi. The specialist will guide the patient regarding the risks and survival rate of the treatment options.